Battery Health Tips
Battery is said to be the backbone of an inverter or any power solution. It plays a vital role in the life and performance of the inverter or any power supplying units. Henceforth, there should a proper
maintenance and regular check up needed for the battery.
Some of the useful tips to enhance the battery life as follows.
- Always use a well ventilated area for inverter installation. The inverter battery gets heated up during charging and operation. An airy place reduces the heating up of the battery. It also reduces the frequent water topping requirements.
- Since it works based on the thermal generation, the battery exerts heavy heat during the operation. So it should keep in airy space where should be high ventilation is necessary.
- After installation, use battery on a regular basis. If the power cut does not occur, discharge the battery completely once in every two month and then recharge it.
- Check the water level of battery for every three months. Ensure that the water level is maintained between the maximum and minimum water limit. Always top up the battery with battery grade distilled water. Do not use tap water as it contains excess minerals and impurities which affect the life and performance of the battery.
- Always keep the surface and sides of battery clean and dust free. Use cotton cloth to clean these surfaces.
- Keep the battery terminals corrosion free and rust free. If the terminals get corroded, pour hot water with baking soda solution on the corrosive area or use a tooth brush for cleaning. This will remove the corrosion. Once the terminals become corrosion free, apply petroleum jelly or Vaseline on to the terminals, nuts and bolts to avoid future corrosion.
- Rusting and corrosion are very bad for battery performance. Rusting in terminals reduces the current flow to and from the battery. This restricted flow of current results in slow battery charging which ultimately reduces battery life.
- Be careful that the vents around battery are dust free and open. Blocked vents lead to hydrogen gas accumulation, which may lead to bursting of battery.
- From safety point of view, install the inverter at safe places in your home which is out of the reach of children or a less used area. But at the same time make sure that it is airy and properly ventilated.
- Replace your battery if it is dead or damaged. Regular inspection will keep you updated on your inverter and battery conditions.
- Do not place any iron objects over the battery. It will cause short circuit and fire.
- Do not try to remove the battery terminals if the inverter is switched on or connected to mains. Disconnect the battery terminals only after switching off the inverter and the mains supply. While removing the terminals, remove the negative terminal (Black) first. Take utmost care to prevent shorting of positive and negative terminals through the connecting cables. Always observe the polarity (polarity is indicated as Red colour or + mark for positive and Black or â€“ mark near the terminals) while connecting the cables.
It is very important that you use correct battery as per requirement (called battery capacity). Make sure that you always use battery with proper AH (Ampere hour) capacity based on your power backup requirement.
If you don't want to clean battery or top-up distilled water yourself (as it is a task in itself), you can
always call us for professional help, since we are the authorised battery dealers in Chennai for Exide,
Luminous, Amaron and Microtek batteries.